Re: Problem report: No syntax highlight for C

From: Jie Zhang
Subject: Re: Problem report: No syntax highlight for C
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 20:15:41 +0800

On 6/3/06, Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 10:59:01AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> [Please don't take the discussion off the list]

Yes, please don't!  Otherwise, I can't see it, and can't reply to it.
:-(

Oops! This was not what I meant to do. It must be an accident.

> > Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 08:59:41 +0800
> > From: "Jie Zhang" <address@hidden>
> > (emacs t.c)
> > For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> > t.c has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
> > File mode specification error: (void-variable c-font-lock-keywords-3)

> > The last line seems pointing out the cause of this issue.

> Yes, it does.  But we have to find out what causes that error.

This is (probably) the problem with eval-after-load that I was trying to
fix with my recent amendments.  The following form in cc-mode.el:

    (eval-after-load "font-lock"
      '(require 'cc-fonts))

fails to trigger if Emacs's directory (e.g. ~acm/emacs/emacs/) is
actually a symbolic link to another directory.

Jie, is this the way your Emacs directory is set up?  Are you actually

No.

running the Emacs CVS?  (Try M-x emacs-version.  The CVS will tell you
something like "GNU Emacs 22.0.50 ...." whereas the released version will
be "GNU Emacs 21.4.1 .....".

Yes.

As a workaround, please try putting the following into your .emacs:

(require 'cc-mode)
(require 'cc-fonts)

Does this make the problem go away?

Yes.