Re: delete-trailing-whitespace and binary files

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: delete-trailing-whitespace and binary files
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:10:57 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
text-mode is derived from Fundamental-mode, which has
a somewhat peculiar (IMO) interpretation of "whitespace":

C-@ .. SPC              which means: whitespace
DEL .. ÿ                which means: whitespace
                        which means: whitespace
      .. ​              which means: whitespace
<<default>>         which means: whitespace

This looks wrong.  Why should all the control chars be considered whitespace
in text-mode?  Rather than try to use another major mode I think we should
fix the above.

That's what I thought, but I don't see a more appropriate choice in the
Syntax Class Table node of the Emacs Lisp manual, which says this:

| "Whitespace characters" (designated by ` ' or `-') separate symbols
| and words from each other.

Thanks,
--
Kevin