Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause does not work
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 10:24:39 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

>We could change the code, or change the manual.
>I am not sure which is better.

IMO changing the code is best. Otherwise, IIUC, there is no way one can
force redisplay from a lisp program.

Here is an example of the need of a way to force redisplay:
I have an Emacs lisp program that I use to copy files from one box to
another. It shows in a buffer the list of files to copy and marks each
file as it is processed. If I switch away from the Emacs frame and back
again, the display is no longer updated (except for minibuffer
messages). Until now I did not know why, but now I see that some window
manager event stops (sit-for 0) forcing redisplay.