Re: address@hidden: No doc for cl stuff even after loading cl?]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: No doc for cl stuff even after loading cl?]
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:35:37 -0400

>> I agree that this is a bug.  Can someone work on it, then ack?
> Having looked into this, I think the only way around the current
> behavior would be to have cl.el load all the cl-* libraries instead of
> autoloading individual functions (which is Bad), or pasting all the
> documentation strings in the cl-* files into cl.el for autoloading
> (which is Silly).  I don't think this is worth fixing.

We could add ;;;###autoload cookies in cl-macs.el and friends and then
arrange for autoloads.el to put the autoload statements in cl.el (rather
than loaddefs.el) by adding file-local settings of generated-autoload-file.

Such a trick could also be used for a few other cases (I'm thinking of the
autoloads for makenifo.el and texnfo-upd.el which are currently
hand-written in texinfo.el, but I'm sure there are others).

This would be made easier if autoload.el were made to read the file local
variables.  Incidentally, reading file local variables is also needed to
properly implement the no-update-autoloads flag.

        Stefan