Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 01:18:47 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Good morning, Kim!
>
> On Sat, 20 May 2006, Kim F. Storm wrote:
>
>>Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> In Emacs-22.0.50, if you try to load a legacy cua-mode.el (or whatever),
>>> an eval-after-load form tells you to set the CUA option via the menu.
>>> This is useful only to users who have a mouse and like using it.
>>>
>>> For the benefit of other users, M-x cua-mode should also be mentioned.
>
>>M-x cua-mode only enables CUA for the current session, so I think this
>>is better:
>
> People will want to enable CUA only for the current session, just to try
> it out.

The reason for the error message in cua-base.el is to assist existing
users of CUA-mode who upgrades from 21.4 to 22.1, and experience that
the CUA bindings no longer works -- or works in peculiar ways...

Since those users already have CUA-mode permanently enabled in their
emacs, I think it is the right thing to tell them how to enable the
new cua-mode -- which is to customize cua-mode or use the Options menu.

You never see the error message if you don't already use CUA-mode,
so that's the wrong place to tell people how to try it out...

> The canonical way of giving commands in Emacs is with M-x foo.  Why
> should this one be different?  If your aim were to make it as difficult
> as possible for a GUI hating user to find out that the command is called
> `cua-mode', you could hardly do better than what you suggest.  Remember,
> C-h c and friends don't work in menus, unless you're willing to click the
> mouse (See my other bug report from yesterday).  Why the obfuscation?

M-x apropos RET cua RET tells about "cua-mode" and "cua-selection-mode".

That's the canonical way to find out that whe command is called...

>                                       The kind of error message which
> says "... via the options menu" without giving me the option of doing it
> "properly" gets me screaming with rage.  What am I meant to write into my
> .emacs?

You still only get the hint if you already have CUA-mode in .emacs.

>          What on earth am I supposed to give to C-h f?  Have I really got
> to go through the hassle of C-h i?

C-h a cua RET doesn't seem a lot of hassle to me...
It tells you about cua-mode, so C-h f cua-mode RET is "no secret".

> Please put the name of the command `cua-mode' into this error message
> somehow.  I think my suggested patch is a reasonable way of doing this.

Sorry, but I think the current (updated) text is reasonable.

More experienced users like yourself, is capable of finding the necessary
command temselves.