Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 15:25:06 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Afternoon, Emacs!
>
> In Emacs-22.0.50, if you try to load a legacy cua-mode.el (or whatever),
> an eval-after-load form tells you to set the CUA option via the menu.
> This is useful only to users who have a mouse and like using it.

F10 exists, and the menu bar is displayed by default.  So the menu is
clearly intended to be used by tty users as well.

> For the benefit of other users, M-x cua-mode should also be
> mentioned.

I don't think this should be necessary.  If the possibility of using
the menu is not apparent enough, we need to think about how to change
that, not how to work around it.

Maybe the text menubar should display at its furthest right (if there
is still room, which should be the case in default modes) <f10> (if
that binding is active at the point of time)?