Re: Windows Printing

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Windows Printing
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:32:31 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I am very sure about the conclusion that the printer is not reset when accessed from Emacs. What exactly do you disagree upon?

That ``sending data is not supposed to be done as Emacs does it'' on
MS-Windows.
Why do you think it is in accordance with the MS documentation to do so? Do you have a pointer to some place in the documentation?

Because your reports were the first time I've heard about such strange
problems.  If lots of people have them, why aren't they speaking up?
I did recieve some feedback from people who did not succeed before. But not a massive amount.

We might be reading the MS documentation differently. But I tried to point to some parts of the manual (in the thread on the mailing list) that made me come to the (tentary) conclusion that printing on MS Windows should be done in a different way than Emacs currently does it. The supported way (as I read the MS docs) is through the use the GDI interface (which I know very little about in practice).

If someone contributes code to do that, I don't think it will be
rejected.  Assuming that it blends well into the overall Emacs
printing interface (which in practice probably means we should wrap
that code in an external lpr emulator program).
I took a look once but did not have time to go further. I do not know Emacs C code and I do not know GDI. That said my impression is that to print on w32 using GDI you should do the same thing as when you use GDI to output to the screen. I wonder however if that is easy to do with Emacs. Does Emacs render the whole buffer with GDI or just the part that is visible at the moment?

Most Windows users don't have Firefox.
That is too bad, but maybe Emacs users have it? ;-)

Then perhaps a link to http://EmacsWiki.org/ could be in the Info node?

That's something for the FAQ, not the manual.
Could you please explain why?