Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplica

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplicates?)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:05:57 +0300

> I'm trying to find a better replacement for KEEP-ALL.

I want to remind that for add-to-history to be usable in several places
there should be a way for read-from-minibuffer not to add a new
element to the history list, thus allowing add-to-history to perform
this task itself afterwards.

I see two ways to do this:

1. before calling read-from-minibuffer to change a global variable
   (either `history-delete-duplicates' or `history-length') to a special
   value.

2. to change the argument KEEP-ALL to DONT-KEEP so that if DONT-KEEP
   is t, then read-from-minibuffer doesn't add a new element to the
   history list, and the calling code can add it by the explicit call
   of add-to-history (with any necessary arguments including the value t
   for KEEP-ALL argument of add-to-history).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/