Re: doc of defining minor modes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: doc of defining minor modes
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:38:53 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > What's unpredicable? Can someone please provide a concrete
>     > example of the problem? I'm not getting it. The doc and
>     > comments made here so far constitute only vague warnings
>     > - what is the problem?
>
>     That a minor mode might just get turned on without the user wanting
>     it.  Possibly because the user did something as simple as browsing
>     customization groups.
>
> Can you please explain how that would happen? How can a minor-mode get
> turned on if the mode variable already has a value?

Why should it have a value when the library gets loaded due to
customize?

> If it does not already have a value when the library is loaded, then
> the library can set the (default) value to on or off, as
> appropriate.

It is not appropriate to turn on minor modes without the user asking
for it.  That's what the recommendation is all about.

> If on is inappropriate for some particular library for some reason,
> then its :init-value should be nil.
>
> Please provide a specific scenario of the problem you see - I'm not
> getting this.

Then you should perhaps read the respective discussion in the
archives.  It is not like this has not been talked through already.
It is tiresome if people start finished discussions and decisions all
over again without bothering to get up to scratch first.