Re: address@hidden: restoring emacs session fails for missing files]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: restoring emacs session fails for missing files]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 07:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Thu, 2006 May 18  10:17 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.64 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.8)
started with

     /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q -D

RMS asked

   Would someone please test this in the current Emacs and
   see if it fails?

       In emacs 21.4.1, restoring a session (read-desktop?) fails if
       the file (or perhaps a containing directory) that had been
       visited has disappeared in the mean time.

I tried this with one file.  In *Messages*, I saw

    Desktop: File "/home/bob/foo" no longer exists.
    Desktop: 1 buffer restored, 1 failed to restore.

My procedure was:

    1. In Emacs, using `find-file', create a buffer named foo and
       insert some text in it.
    2. In Emacs, save the buffer named foo to a file of the same name.
    3. In Emacs, kill the buffer containing the file foo.
    4. In Emacs, evaluate the expression:   (desktop-save "~bob/")
    5. In a shell, `rm foo'
    6. In Emacs, evaluate the expression:   (desktop-read "~bob/")

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8