Re: auto-update of Info dir file?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: auto-update of Info dir file?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 06:24:41 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:33:39 -0700
>
>     To see how the stand-alone Info reader handles this, type at the
>     shell's prompt "info info-stnd".  There should be no menu entry that
>     begins with the string "info-stnd" in your DIR file, but the
>     stand-alone reader will find the right manual anyway.
>
> Yes, I have no problem with that, as far as it goes. I would also like to
> see the visible menu show what's available, so users don't need a crystal
> ball before they can know to type "info info-stnd". Even if seen in a
> completion list, "info-stnd" is hardly parlant.

Don't take the example too literally: I've chosen info-stnd because I
could be sure the example will work on your system.  In the situation
that started this thread, it would have been "info elisp", which
doesn't really need a crystal ball at all.

> Ideally (another, future discussion, perhaps), users should be able to type
> keywords or a regexp and see a summary of the hits among all manuals - to
> see which manuals might be available and most appropriate for info on a
> particular subject.

You want "M-x info-apropos RET".  We already have that.