Re: bind faces?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bind faces?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 23:46:39 +0900

On 5/14/06, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
I'm guessing that you mean that put-text-property would make chars 1-5 have
font-lock-string-face (which would be defined at that point to have a red
background), but those chars wouldn't get redisplayed until after the let is
exited. If that's the case, then I'd say that users can use let to bind the
face to a new definition, and they can use put-text-property to add that
(newly defined) face to text, but they also need to (do something to) force
redisplay inside the let, if they want to see the effect.

Reading this, it's extremely unclear what you actually want to happen.

Again:  Give a real world example of a UI problem using your proposed
feature.  Not only will that help justify it, it will clarify what
exactly you think it should do.

(The example I gave causes the given face's display to change _during
the binding_ -- I used a call to read-string in my example because
that causes redisplay and user interaction within the binding; the
display of the given face changes back again after the binding ceases
to be active)

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.