Re: 'fullscreen 'fullheight

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: 'fullscreen 'fullheight
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:25:59 -0600

Sam Steingold wrote:
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.24 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2006-05-01 on quant8

I use Emacs on various machines with different X screen parameters,
and I like Emacs frames to have maximum possible height.
I used to use this:

(defun sds-frame-normaize (&optional frame move)
  "the frame --> top right; almost full size"
  (interactive)
  (unless frame (setq frame (selected-frame)))
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
  (set-frame-parameter frame 'fullscreen nil)
  (when move
    (set-frame-position frame 0 0))
  (let ((height (- (frame-height) (eval-when-compile (if sds-winnt 1 4)))))
    (set-frame-height frame height)
    (set-frame-width frame 80)
    (set-frame-parameter frame 'top '(+ -5))
    height))
(I welcome suggestion on how to accomplish the same easier!)

recently I noticed the following unpleasant behavior:

$ emacs -q
(frame-height) C-j
==> 43
(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight) C-j
==> nil
(frame-height) C-j
==> 43

now the X window has the correct size, but the emacs frame does not!
((frame-height) returns the old value)
also, set-frame-parameter takes several seconds to execute!

What is your intent in specifying fullscreen as nil, then fullheight,
then nil, and then specifying height explicitly anyway?

What should Emacs do when the frame parameters include both fullscreen
and height or width, which may conflict?

--
Kevin Rodgers