Re: PHP mode in Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PHP mode in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:04:19 -0400

> Are there any plans to include a PHP mode in Emacs?  Googling around
> finds a couple of these modes, one of which is based on mmm-mode.  I
> can't find any recent developments, though.

I don't have any experience with any php mode (or with php for that matter),
but I just want to mention that I think it'd be good to include mmm-mode
in Emacs.

There are other ways to handle the situation where you want to use different
major modes for different parts of a buffer and I don't claim that mmm-mode
is the ultimate answer, but I think it's a good solution.

Also I think other solutions should not be seen as competing: the choice
between them is probably going to come down to user preferences and to usage
patterns, so choosing one should not rule out the others.  Hopefully the
various approaches can share some things (e.g. the syntax of the special
elements that indicate the need for a mode switch).

        Stefan