Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:26:24 -0400

> Now I feel a bit guilty that I didn't mention this earlier.  Anyway, I
> thought that a hook in f-l-d-f-r might be useful despite the
> possibility mentioned above as a "documentable" and common way of
> extending the region.  But you are right, it's not really necessary.

I was thinking of documenting this use of font-lock-fontify-region-function
in the new "multi line font lock elements" node of the elisp manual.
Do you think a separate hook is still necessary?

The way I see it, a separate hook would only really make sense if it were
a "normal" hook where you can place several functions, so that minor modes
can also use it reliably and easily.

> But then, IMO, a hook in `after-change-functions' is not strictly
> necessary either.  Its only benefit might be that refontification of
> the extended region happens faster.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

        Stefan