Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:35:13 +0200

* Ralf Angeli (2006-04-07) writes:

> * Kim F. Storm (2006-04-06) writes:
>
>> then examine the stack and other stuff to see
>> where it hangs, e.g. as a first step, send us
>> the output from these commands:
[...]
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> #1  0xa77f7d2d in select () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
> #2  0x0819228b in wait_reading_process_output (time_limit=0,
> microsecs=100000,
>     read_kbd=0, do_display=0, wait_for_cell=137558217, wait_proc=0x8b7ada8,
>     just_wait_proc=0) at process.c:4494
> #3  0x08193f5a in Faccept_process_output (process=146255276, seconds=0,
>     millisec=100, just_this_one=137558217) at process.c:3893
[...]
> Lisp Backtrace:
> "accept-process-output"
> "imap-wait-for-tag"
> "nnimap-retrieve-groups"
> "gnus-retrieve-groups"

Is there anything else I can do to help debugging this?

I don't have the original report, so I don't know under which
circumstances the hang happens there.  In my case it happens if I
connect to the internet via modem, open an encrypted connection to an
IMAP server, cut the internet connection, connect to the internet
again, and try to connect to the IMAP server again.  I am not sure if
this is a problem of Emacs, the programs used for opening the
connection to the server, or the kernel.  I tried it now with openssl
s_client, starttls, and gnutls-cli.  All three behave identically on
GNU/Linux, i.e. the hang happens with all of them.

BTW, in contrast to Emacs on GNU/Linux, the Windows port of Emacs does
not hang.  Perhaps this information helps identifying the cause.

--
Ralf