RE: unhelpful menu keybinding notes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: unhelpful menu keybinding notes
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:50:00 -0700

    Alternatively, one could put explicit keyboard help strings into the
    menus (or have some property for that purpose on the function?).  One
    keys would still try using them without being prompted for them.

Yes, this is a general problem with `substitute-command-keys', which we have
discussed before. Whenever there is more than one key sequence bound to a
command, the problem surfaces.

No matter what algorithm is used to choose (ASCII, non-ASCII, shortest,
longest, chords, non-chords, whatever), people will want to be able to
specify the binding to use in the result, and there is no way to do that
now. I hope we will address this after the release and find a good solution.

In my own libraries I sometimes hard-code explicit bindings and sometimes
rely upon \\[...]. The advantage of the former is that you can control what
gets communicated; the disadvantage is that that can be incorrect if the
user has changed the bindings.