Re: Coverity Open Source Defect Scan of Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Coverity Open Source Defect Scan of Emacs
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:37:48 -0400

    > Is the product free software?  If not, it will meet with some
    > antipathy from free software projects such as Emacs.

    It's not really a principal problem for fixing bugs: bug reports don't
    introduce copyrightable material into the fixed product.  And if
    someone else is running the tool and reporting its results, there is
    not much more to be annoyed at than at not having access to the brains
    of human bug reporters.

We won't encourage anyone to use non-free software for any reason,
including the finding of bugs in Emacs.  However, we won't reject or
ignore a bug report merely because the bug was found through the use
of non-free software.