Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button

From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Re: Binding a command to the down-event of a toolbar button
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:58:54 -0800

Richard Stallman wrote:
    > You're missing the point.  You're proposing we implement the capacity
    > to provide a certain kind of GUI feature.  Before we do that, I want
    > to know whether users expect or want that kind of feature in GUIs.  If
    > they don't, let's save the trouble of writing and maintaining code to
    > implement it.

    Yes, click and drag and mouse-2, mouse-3 are used in UIs.

That is not the question.

The question is whether other UIs make a distinction of down and up
clicks on tool bars.  And what UI design recommendations say about it.

Consider me completely confused then.

Are you saying you'd want to toolbars to support mouse-1 and drag-mouse-1 (as well as the same events for other mouse buttons), but *not* down-mouse-1? Why? By implementing drag, wouldn't you end up implementing down as well?

  -- MJF