Re: ./make-dist for unicode branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ./make-dist for unicode branch
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:21:31 +0200

> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:46:43 -0500
>
>     If that is the rule, I don't mind removing uni-*.el from the
>     CVS tree again.   Richard, shall I?
>
> I was not following this discussion and I don't know what the issue is.
> Eli, could you summarize it?

First, this is about the unicode-2 branch, not about CVS HEAD.

The problem is that a tarball created with "make-dist --snapshot" out
of a freshly checked-out CVS unicode-2 branch tree would not build
because the files lisp/international/charprop.el and
lisp/international/uni-*.el are generated by "make bootstrap" only if
there's the `admin' subdirectory.  (I asked why it looks for that
directory, but didn't see any answers.)

Handa-san tried to fix this by checking the missing files into CVS,
but Miles objected, saying that generated files should not be there.

I think this is a non-issue, because make-dist is not supposed to
produce a workable tarball unless you bootstrap first.  See
admin/make-tarball.txt, it explicitly says to bootstrap.  As I see
this, a snapshot should be exactly like a release tarball, i.e. it
should include all the *.elc files etc.  So one needs to build Emacs
before creating a snapshot.

So I don't think these files should be in CVS, and I don't think
there's any problem in make-dist.  Rather, before creating a snapshot,
people should say "make bootstrap" in their sandbox.