Re: Rewrite of vc-user-login-name

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: Rewrite of vc-user-login-name
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:42:22 +0100

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:47 -0500, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>     Here's a patch that closes a long standing issue, removing the need for
>     Tramp to advise vc-user-login-name.  I'm not quite sure how to install
>     it, though: should I just remove the advice in tramp-vc.el?
>
> What is the cause of your doubts?
> In general, updating the source is all one needs to do
> for a change in the Lisp code.  Occasionally one needs
> to update loaddefs.el, but that's not relevant here.

I wasn't sure how the advice mechanism actually works, and I thought
that maybe my change could have forced people to recompile Emacs to make
it work.  Also, I'm not the maintainer of tramp-vc.el, so I thought I'd
better ask.

I will install the changes now and comment out the defadvice in
tramp-vc.el.  Michael Albinus can then have a closer look.