Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: allocate_string_data memory corruption
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:48:33 -0500

> In this function, data->string is set to s, and nbytes is set to
> nbytes.  If check_sblock is a no-op, there should be no change.
> However, we get an abort on the second debugging check:

Most likely the thing that's happening is that check_sblock takes a "long"
time during which there's a higher probability for a signal to arrive and
the bug itself is that one of the signal handlers does some string
allocation (or some other manipulation of those data structures).

I'd try something like

    eassert (!in_allocate_string_data);
    in_allocate_string_data = 1;
    check_sblock();
    in_allocate_string_data = 0;

BTW, it's possible that -DSYNC_INPUT fixes the bug.

        Stefan