Re: windows-XXXX and cpXXXX

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: windows-XXXX and cpXXXX
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:52:14 +0200

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:58:42 +0900
>
> Even for non-DOS users, (coding-system-p 'cp1252) returns
> nil or t depending on his locale.

Why would non-DOS users need cp1252? why cannot they use windows-1252,
which is the official IANA name of that encoding?

The fact that people get confused by what the Emacs manual says about
this (which I believe is what led us to this discussion) can be taken
care of by fixing the manual.  There's no need to modify code for that.

In short, cp1252 is something we invented in codepage.el.  So we might
as well retire those cpXXX symbols for good, on all platforms (except
DOS, which must use codepage.el).  That is my suggestion: let's remove
cpXXX and cpXXXX aliases from code-pages.el, and let's start educating
users to use windows-XXXX instead.