Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Rmail: rmail-enable-mime is causing troubles
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:16:28 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Henrik Enberg <address@hidden> writes:

>>  When setting rmail-enable-mime in my .emacs to t, I get a backtrace when I
>> try
>>  to display a message like this one:
>>
>>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function nil)
>>    nil()
>>    rmail-show-message(372)
>>    rmail-summary-goto-msg(nil)
>>    call-interactively(rmail-summary-goto-msg)
>>
>>  It does it whatever the message is.

> That's because rmail-enable-mime requires external packages.  I suppose
> the docstring ought to mention this.

I agree.  I'm going to install this change.  What do you
think?  The reason of the change from `message' to
`display-warning' is that the echo area message is too short
and is soon overriden by another message.

By the way, I've just noticed that rmail-mime package is
currently not available on the web.  So, I created this page:
<http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/index.html>.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden

*** rmail.el    10 Jan 2006 20:52:13 +0900      1.418
--- rmail.el    11 Jan 2006 13:24:19 +0900
***************
*** 543,549 ****
    "*If non-nil, RMAIL uses MIME feature.
  If the value is t, RMAIL automatically shows MIME decoded message.
  If the value is neither t nor nil, RMAIL does not show MIME decoded message
! until a user explicitly requires it."
    :type '(choice (const :tag "on" t)
                 (const :tag "off" nil)
                 (other :tag "when asked" ask))
--- 543,553 ----
    "*If non-nil, RMAIL uses MIME feature.
  If the value is t, RMAIL automatically shows MIME decoded message.
  If the value is neither t nor nil, RMAIL does not show MIME decoded message
! until a user explicitly requires it.
!
! Even if the value is non-nil, you can't use MIME feature
! if the feature specified by `rmail-mime-feature' is not available
! in your session."
    :type '(choice (const :tag "on" t)
                 (const :tag "off" nil)
                 (other :tag "when asked" ask))
***************
*** 595,601 ****
  (defvar rmail-mime-feature 'rmail-mime
    "Feature to require to load MIME support in Rmail.
  When starting Rmail, if `rmail-enable-mime' is non-nil,
! this feature is required with `require'.")

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar rmail-decode-mime-charset t
--- 599,608 ----
  (defvar rmail-mime-feature 'rmail-mime
    "Feature to require to load MIME support in Rmail.
  When starting Rmail, if `rmail-enable-mime' is non-nil,
! this feature is required with `require'.
!
! The default value is `rmail-mime'.  This feature is provided by
! the rmail-mime package available at <http://www.m17n.org/rmail-mime/>.")

  ;;;###autoload
  (defvar rmail-decode-mime-charset t
***************
*** 735,742 ****
      (condition-case err
        (require rmail-mime-feature)
        (error
!        (message "Feature `%s' not provided" rmail-mime-feature)
!        (sit-for 1)
         (setq rmail-enable-mime nil)))))

--- 742,755 ----
      (condition-case err
        (require rmail-mime-feature)
        (error
!        (display-warning
!       :warning
!       (format "Although MIME support is requested
! by setting `rmail-enable-mime' to non-nil, the required feature
! `%s' (the value of `rmail-mime-feature')
! is not available in the current session.
! So, the MIME support is turned off for the moment."
!               rmail-mime-feature))
         (setq rmail-enable-mime nil)))))