Re: Removing list identifiers in rmail (was: Changes to emacs/lisp/mail/

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Removing list identifiers in rmail (was: Changes to emacs/lisp/mail/rmail.el)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:37:14 +0100

> If this also removes tags in square brackets (like in "[PCL-CVS] foo",
> "[patch] bar", ...), it is not a good idea, IMHO.

My assumption was that if you are navigating through your mails,
however, "foo", "Re: foo", "[patch] foo", and "[patch] Re: foo" are
all the same subject.  I also felt that if your mailing list engine
adds the tag, then it will add it again when it resends your message
to people on the list, so no big deal.

My change might be a mistake, if you think that square brackets at the
beginning of a subject are sometimes not such mailing list
identifiers, and therefore removing them in a reply is wrong.

What do you think?

Alex
--
http://www.emacswiki.org/alex/