Re: Finish updating copyright years

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: Finish updating copyright years
Date: 31 Oct 2005 07:02:37 -0800

Kim> address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> Copyright (c) 1994, 2005 Randal L. Schwartz
>>
>> without any new creative content, because that would be artificially
>> extending the date of original publication, and that's not legal.

Kim> IIUC, the argument is that the copyright applies to the Emacs release
Kim> as a whole, and *Emacs* has definitely changed in 2005.

Darn it, stop picking a fight with me. :)

That same argument would have applied to my books then, as well, but I
was given precisely the opposite advice.  The *entire* book hasn't
changed, just *some* of the words and pages.  Same is true for emacs:
you didn't rewrite it from scratch between 2004 and 2005: some of the
code is *identically* the same.  Therefore, it's not a *new* creative
act... but a composite of existing creativity *plus* new creativity.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>