Re: address@hidden: tool-bar: frame-local tool-bar-button-margin]

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: address@hidden: tool-bar: frame-local tool-bar-button-margin]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:12:05 +0100

On 25 Oct 2005, at 00:51, Chong Yidong wrote:

  make-variable-frame-local:

     Enable the use of frame-local bindings for VARIABLE.  This does
     not in itself create any frame-local bindings for the variable;
however, if some frame already has a value for VARIABLE as a frame parameter, that value automatically becomes a frame-local binding.

Using modify-frame-parameters followed by make-variable-frame-local, I
am indeed able to get frame-local values for tool-bar-button margin.

Probably the docstring for make-variable-frame-local should be
rephrased to make it clearer.

Yes that'd be an improvement - but I find the whole principle confusing. One would expect that make-variable-buffer-local and make- variable-frame-local lead parallel lives. For example, I knew already that frame-local-variables are the same as frame parameters. But I expected that setting a variable that has been made frame-local will set the appropriate frame parameter/variable.

The design is the root of the problem, not just the documentation...