Re: File modes facilities.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:40:02 -0400

>     Yes, slightly.  But if your file name starts with / or ~ (i.e. is an
>     absolute file name, as is the default for `load-file' because
>     of its default initial value) then the difference is minimal.

> I guess I still don't understand. I see this difference in completion
> behavior - do you not?

>     Go to a directory that is not in your load-path. M-x load-library
>     will not complete the name of an Emacs-Lisp file in that directory...
>     M-x load-file will complete its name.

Which part of "starts with / or ~" don't you understand?

> I see the default for `load-file' being an absolute file name that is in the
> default-directory. I see it completing to any file in that directory.  I
> don't see `load-library' doing that at all - I see `load-library' completing
> only wrt the `load-path'.

As I said, the initial value (empty string for load-library,
default-directory for load-file) is the main difference.
But if you type in the default directory manually in load-library the
completion facilities will then work pretty much as they do in load-file.

        Stefan