Re: image size limit?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: image size limit?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:27:49 +0900

2005/10/18, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> My Emacs frames are typically 80 columns of 13x6, i.e. about 500 pixel wide,
> but I often (at least once a week) watch digital photos in those frames
> and more often than not those picteures are 1600 or 2048 pixel wide.

Yeah, me too -- in many cases I just wanna check do a quick check, and
seeing just the upper-left corner is good enough, so I do this with
pictures up to about  3840 x 3072 pixels (that's triple my display
size in each dimension).  Emacs scrolling actually works reasonably
well if you only care about the left edge... :-)

I think it's a good idea to have a limit, just make it rather bigger
than any common picture size, e.g., 10,000 x 10,000.  Limiting it to
some multiple of the display size seems like pointless extra work --
Emacs on a modern machine is quite capable of handling even pretty big
pictures, it's just the _insane_ sizes from corrupted or malicious
data that cause problems.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.