Re: wrapper fn for message and minibuffer-message?

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: wrapper fn for message and minibuffer-message?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:16:43 -0400

    I still have the same question: Would the variable also be set to non-nil
    implicitly, whenever `minibufferp'? (That was the behavior I originally
    suggested: use `minibuffer-message' when the minibuffer is active.)

That is certainly not what I have in mind.  These are both useful
operations in the minibuffer.  The individual command would bind
`minibuffer-message-at-end' to non-nil when it wants the message to
appear at the end of the minibuffer.

    Do you mean that low-level redisplay would, in effect, use
    `minibuffer-message' when the minibuffer is active and `message' otherwise?
    If so, that's the behavior of the function I suggested.

No, it would implement the behavior of `minibuffer-message'
when `minibuffer-message-at-end' is non-nil.