Re: pgg symmetric encryption patch

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: pgg symmetric encryption patch
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:18:48 +0900

Hello Sascha,

> I attached a more complete patch, including documentation and
> changelog entries.

> Any comments, bug-fixes, flames are highly appreciated.

> +;;;###autoload
> +(defun pgg-encrypt-symmetric-region (start end)
> +  "Encrypt the current region between START and END symmetric with
> passphrase."
> +  (interactive "r")
> +  (when (not (member (or pgg-scheme pgg-default-scheme)
> +                  pgg-symmetric-encryption-schemes))
> +    (error "Symmetric encryption is not implemented for selected scheme."))

It might be better to split pgg-gpg-encrypt-symmetric-region from
pgg-gpg-encrypt-region rather than maintaining
pgg-symmetric-encryption-schemes.

When pgg-invoke calls "encrypt-symmetric-region" on pgp or pgp5
backend, a void-function error is signaled.  Therefore, the user will
see that "encrypt-symmetric-region" is not implemented.

And also, is it still necessary to give special meaning to the 1st
argument (recipients) of pgg-encrypt-region?

> ps. I have no write access to CVS, so if there are no objections,
> please commit.

Currently, PGG in Emacs CVS is a part of Gnus.  So I added
Simon Josefsson to the Cc: list.  He is one of Gnus maintainers and he
has taken care of PGG in Gnus CVS.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno