Re: Suggestion: small improvment for compilation

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Suggestion: small improvment for compilation
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:12:16 +0300

> Below is small patch to compile.el. This patch add the line:
>     Compilation started at Mon Aug 01 17:09:03
> and highlight it in the same way as "Compilation finished".
>
> I add this because I have some very long compilations (e.g. build
> Emacs on Cygwin) and this helps me keep track of it.

Good idea.

I think it's better to use exactly the same format as used in the
function `compilation-handle-exit', i.e. `mode-name' instead of
`(capitalize name-of-mode)', and `(substring (current-time-string) 0 19)'
instead of `format-time-string'.

Also I see there is a difference in highlighting grep and compilation
exit messages.  In the grep output the mode name `Grep' is
not highlighted, but the exit code is highlighted (highlighting
is underlined below).

Grep exited abnormally with code 2 at Tue Jul 19 15:42:32

In the compilation output the mode name is highlighted,
but the exit code is not:

Compilation exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Jul 20 12:21:12

Shouldn't they be more uniform?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/