Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:57:47 +0200

While I think tooltips are good for the toolbar icons and great for the
modeline, I find them sometimes annoying, especially in occur buffer.
e.g. when I move the cursor in the occur buffer emacs keeps hiding lines
behind the tooltip "mouse-2: go to this occurence".
Showing the tooltip once when one enters the buffer would be ok.

Maybe I missed something, but it seems that one can only globally
enable/disable tooltips. I think one should be able to make them buffer local
or, even better, be able to enable/disable tooltips for some features (like
modeline etc.).

I've toyed with this idea and tried
(add-hook 'occur-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (make-variable-buffer-local 'show-help-function)
            (setq show-help-function nil)))
This sort of works, but of course it also disables the tooltips for toolbar
and modeline of this buffer.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
A fool with a tool is still a fool  -- Grady Booch