Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: codepage-setup, autoload cpNNN
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:44:25 +0300

> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:57:43 +0200
>
> On GNU/Linux, Emacs autoloads window-12xx.

Yes, I know that.  But this has nothing to do with the text in the
MS-DOS appendix of the manual: that text describes codepage.el which
is only used in the MS-DOS port.  GNU/Linux uses code-pages.el, which
is a different (and slightly incompatible) implementation of the same
functionality.

> I.e. if Gnus displays an
> article with charset=window-12xx, all characters are displayed
> correctly.  Sometimes people use charset=cp850 or need to edit files
> encoded in cpNNN.  After `M-x codepages-setup RET NNN RET' the coding
> system is available.  But etc/NEWS says "`codepage-setup' is now
> obsolete".  What is the correct way to setup cpNNN?

See code-pages.el.  I don't know the answer for that, perhaps the code
will tell you.  IIRC, `codepage-setup' was declared obsolete because
the need to do something in order for a coding system to become
available was deemed a bad idea.  But I don't remember the details,
nor what would be the Right Way.  The birth of code-pages.el was
accompanied by heated discussions, so some issues were lost in the
dispute and never resolved.