Re: address@hidden: Info on define-minor-mode - :init-valueor :initial-v

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Info on define-minor-mode - :init-valueor :initial-value?]
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:34:54 +0200

On 8/1/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there really such a problem, with the solution I've called for?

I don't know, my patience is not enough to thoroughly read customize threads.

I was just answering at the text I quoted (and your worrying answer
"That is just a goal, not an unbreakable rule."), by expressing my
support to the idea that customize shouldn't be forced down the throat
of anyone. Not that it *is* currently**, which I don't know.

Perhaps it is weird or difficult to understand, but some of us don't
like customize *at all*. That is not to mean that it is not useful (I
gather it is), but I really really don't like to be forced to use it
or even recognize its existence. That doesn't mean that if I ever add
a variable I won't defcustom it (I'll do, if it makes sense for the
newbie to set it). But I'll do my best to forgive the defcustom as
soon as I've written it. To my eyes, customize is an unwieldy beast,
complex and riddled with traps for the unwary.

No, I'm not being entirely rational. Loving Emacs instead of vi isn't
a rational decision either ;-)

                    /L/e/k/t/u

**Well, I hate the:

  (put 'inhibit-startup-echo-area-message 'saved-value t)
  (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message (user-login-name))

I have in my .emacs. I'm grown up, I know what I'm doing, and I really
want to share my .emacs between two setups with different user names
:)