Re: Sorting of directories in dired

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Sorting of directories in dired
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:06:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I never use ls outside some sh like shell.

Why not?
I can see faster on the output from cmd:s dir what is a directory for example.

I think that the necessary integration with different platforms must not be hampered by the consistent cross-platform behaviour. I am much in favor of both these things.

They contradict.  One must choose one or the other; we cannot have
both.
We must be more concrete to be able to decide that. Sometimes they contradict, sometimes not. I believe we should strive for both. cua-mode is a good example on this. viper-mode another (I happily use both). emacsserver/client (or gnuserv/client) are other examples.

Since Emacs started its route much have changed. The users on different platforms now tend to request that applications adhere to what they are used to.

FWIW, I don't see any significant change in users' attitudes.
Would not you think that most users on w32 expect C-x to be cut? Would you not expect the keyboard addicts (like me) to use the Alt-key to acces the menus?