Re: CPerl-mode bug [Re: Relation with package authors (CPerl-mode follow

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CPerl-mode bug [Re: Relation with package authors (CPerl-mode follow-ups)]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:01:29 -0400

>> To make up for it, the normal answer is to set font-lock-defaults so that _
>> does have word syntax during font-locking (but not while editing).
>>
>> To get it to work I had to remove an apparently spurious set-syntax-table in
>> cperl-find-pods-heres.

> Could you please replace the CVS version of the cperl-mode.el with one on
> my site?  Given that all the edits in CVS version break the mode more
> and more, the users will appreciate this a lot.

As mentioned in my message, the reason for this particular problem is that
your code changes _ to have word syntax, which is considered in Emacs to be
a bug.  So the Emacs version of cperl-mode.el fixes this bug, which then
triggered the other bug I just fixed.

Yes the Emacs version has bugs that your version doesn't have, but your
version also has bugs that the Emacs version doesn't have (they're usually
different kinds of bugs, that have more to do with coding and UI
conventions, but they're bugs nevertheless for us Emacs maintainers).

I'd be very happy to merge the two versions, and indeed when I merged the
4.32 and then 5.0 version of your code I tried to reduce the differences
between the two, but we won't be able to get to a full merge until your
version integrates some of our changes.

        Stefan