Re: entering CJK full-width space

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: entering CJK full-width space
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:52:58 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems to me that it is non-trivial to enter a full-width space
> character (U+3000, Big5 0xA140, etc.) within Emacs.  How do you handle
> this?  At least for the `chinese-py-punct' and `chinese-py-punct-b5'
> methods I suggest that the combination `v' `<space>' creates a
> full-width space.

I've just installed a change for that.

> Maybe it's even useful to define a function
> `insert-fullwidth-space' which checks the current encoding and takes
> the appropriate action.

I don't think it's not worth making such a command.

In my opiniion, U+3000 should be a deprecated character.  At
least we Japanese don't use it that much because hitting
space in Japanese input method is usually for converting the
preedit hiragana sequence.  When there's no preedit text,
some input methods insert nomal space, and some insert
full-width space.  But, long ago I heard that many people
don't like the latter behaviour.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden