Re: Problem with image libraries on Windows (reprise)

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Problem with image libraries on Windows (reprise)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:18:48 +0200

I wrote about the image libraries' problems a week ago and I didn't
receive any answers (not a complain, just explaining why am I bringing
it back again).

Please note that this is *not* a new feature, and it is *not* related
to the dynamic loading feature devised for image libraries (though it
depends on Emacs on Windows using DLLs and not statically linked
libraries). These are patches for a bug that can crash any Emacs on
Windows if the user accidentally uses image libraries linked with
different linking options than the Emacs executable.

>   - With regard to the PNG patch, I'd like an answer about making it
> the only way to read PNG image from files, or using it only for
> Windows.

If I heard no objection, I'll install the PNG part of the patch
tomorrow. It'll use the custom read functions in all platforms, not
just Windows.

>   - On the JPEG front: Richard should make a comment about the legal
> issues. If the code cannot be included as is, I'd like for someone
> who's not been "tainted" by looking at jdatasrc.c to reimplement it.

I'm not going to commit to the repository code which could be "legally
unsound". I would really appreciate an answer on this one.

Thanks,

                 /L/e/k/t/u