Re: enriched-mode problems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:29:49 +0200

>     > It doesn't seem right to put that in a file's local variables list.
>     > This is a personal preference issue.
>
>     It usually is, but there are files which simply won't work in one of
>     the two modes.  And for those files, it is not a personal preference.
>
> Why do some files not work in one of these modes?  I'd expect TeX to
> be able to produce DVI from any input, and if PDF is made from the
> DVI file, that should always work too right?

TeX-PDF-mode does not go through DVI.  A different executable "pdftex"
is employed that has its own set of primitive commands.

> Meanwhile, you ought to be able to control this with a couple of
> ordinary variables auctex-cant-make-dvi and auctex-cant-make-pdf,
> right?  You could set those in appropriate files, and the commands
> would look at one or both of them in deciding what to do.

Not exactly a pretty and intuitive solution.  What we currently do is
allowing local variable specifications like
TeX-PDF-mode: nil

Anyway, it seems pretty natural to offer minor modes with a
customizable default setting, and not all minor modes might be 100%
user-preference.