Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/nt/INSTALL
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:27:06 +0200

> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:55:04 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > Finally, if "co -kb" indeed has only a local effect, and none of the
> > > other commands, like ci, diff, up -j, etc. are affected, it sounds
> > > like Windows users should be told to checkout the whole tree with -kb,
> > > right?
> >
> > Not sure if they should be told to, but at least there is no problem
> > if they do: I just checked out a -kb tree and built it with MSVC with
> > no problem whatsoever.
>
> I did that as well (but with MinGW).  I will run with this setup for a
> while and see if I encounter any problems.

Found one already: "cvs up" never uses patches with this setup, it
always sends the entire new version of the files downstream.  That is,
if the Emacs tree is checked out with -kb, you will never again see
messages like this:

  P lisp/ChangeLog

but always

  U lisp/ChangeLog

This might be a problem with slow connections, but otherwise it's
harmless, I guess.

A more serious problem is that automatic merges are probably not
supported either (although I didn't try).