Re: encoding and content-length for url-http.el

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: encoding and content-length for url-http.el
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:05:07 -0400

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 16:05 +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> What I still don't know is what value url-request-data
> should have?

It would be ideal if url.el would add charset information to the
Content-Type MIME header.  This way url.el can ensure that the
information it always correct and it saves the caller some work.  In
fact I think there needs to be more convenience methods available to
abstract away a lot of the character-encoding and MIME handing.

I would suggest simplifying the interface to:

        (setq my-resp (url-http-post "http://www.example.com/";
        "Iñtërnâtiônàlizætiøn"))

And let url.el handle all the character encoding (probably, trying utf-8
first and falling back if the server's Accept-Encoding doesn't have
utf-8 in it) and result parsing.

Is this reasonable?  I'm willing to help code something like this up as
long as I can get help from people more knowledgeable than myself in the
encoding.

--
http://mah.everybody.org/weblog/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5