Re: Problems building emacs-21.2 on IRIX with gcc-3.4.4

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: Problems building emacs-21.2 on IRIX with gcc-3.4.4
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:35:32 -0500

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 09:30:18AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     gcc-3.3.2 works. Should I presume this to be a GCC bug?
>
> It could be, but you need to localize the problem to make sure.  You
> could try compiling some files with GCC 3.3.2 and some with GCC 3.4.4,
> and determine which file makes the difference.  Then you could try
> splitting that file in various ways, to compile part of it with 3.3.2
> and part with 3.4.4.  That way you can see which function fails.
>
> At that point, you'll probably see that either the function contains
> code that is not well defined in C, or that it has been miscompiled
> by GCC 3.4.4.  Either way, we will know what to do.

Thanks for the tip. We had one of the GCC developers look at the
problem (Eric Botcazou), and he found out that gcc-3.4.x is creating
some additional R/W ELF sections that the IRIX linker is not combining
(gcc-3.3.x created one R/W and one R/O ELF section). He plans to look
into this further. Hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)