Re: A few issues with thumbs.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few issues with thumbs.el
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:35:49 +0200

> Indeed, the delete-upon-load is also a heuristic and it's not necessarily
> better than any other.  I think anything is OK, as long as it's run at least
> once per Emacs session where you use thumbs without being run too often to
> slow everything down.

OK, I'll do a little thinking about that.

> It's more or less a "pure" function.

That's what I thought. Thanks.

> Some files even run programs upon load (typically
> things like "ispell --version"), and while it's often sub-optimal, it's
> still OK as long as the program itself won't change any state either.

Yeah. In fact I want to do that to detect whether the convert.exe in
the path is the ImageMagick's or Windows' one (alternatively, I'm
thinking of temporarily removing %windir%/* directories from exec-path
before trying to find convert.exe).

> toto_NNNN.jpg would be the thumb for (e.g.) baz/toto.gif.
> The NNNN is in case you want to add a hash or counter.

Ah, OK.

I have a few fixes for thumbs.el (with my latest patches it could fail
to create a valid temporary file name if thumbs-thumbdir or
thumbs-temp-dir do not end in slash), but I'll wait till I've given
consideration to these issues.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u