Re: regexp font-lock highlighting

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: regexp font-lock highlighting
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 02:32:19 +0300

> I can't help wondering what would be the benefit of highlighting
> things like \< and \w.  Highlighting \( and \| and \) can make sense
> since it helps doing visual paren matching

\< and \w are keywords of the language of regular expressions.
Like keywords of other programming languages highlighted in Emacs
it makes sense to highlight keywords of regular expressions as well.

> Please leave \< and \w alone, thank you.

Highlighting of \< and \w should by no means be the default.
Anyone willing to implement highlighting of all regexp constructs
could add it as an option for those users who like fruit salad
(I'm not speaking for myself, I like moderate highlighting).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/