Re: Options menu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Options menu
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:31:24 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>    Since both of these suggestions would be a change with regard
>    to 21.4, if there is any contention about them (except maybe for
>    better proposals for the "All Options" menu), we should rather drop
>    them instead of wasting time discussing them, if the advantages are
>    not seen as clearcut as I imagine.
>
> They are not as clearcut as you imagine.

Then they are off my agenda for 22.1.  I sometimes wish that we had
appointed or elected "dictators" for specific subsystems of Emacs: it
is clear that unilateral agreement is very hard to achieve, and so
we'd probably get more things achieved with less quibbling if people
could just present their case without catering for all other
proposals, and then one person who is generally trusted in that
respect (and can be replaced in that function if people agree) makes
the call.  We'd probably achieve something a bit closer to coherency
with less total investment of time and nerves that way.

Of course Richard fills in some of that space, but given his
intermittent access and numerous other chores, the current situation
still lends itself to too much arguing which in the end achieves less
with probably a higher total frustration level than if somebody was
declared responsible for decisions in certain areas.