Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: English usage bug in bytecomp.el
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:02:35 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Miles and Emacs!

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Miles Bader wrote:

[Discussion of "`foo' is an obsolete function since 21.4;"]

>> .  This combination of "is" and "since" is incorrect English usage.

>I think "is ... since" is pretty common usage actually, and certainly
>makes sense.

<Gnashes teeth>

Yes, it does make sense and it is regrettably common usage, but it is
WRONG.  It is something that a native English speaker would never say.
In this case, it is just as easy to be correct.

When somebody who loves this bastard mess of a language that is English
reads something like that, the effects are not nice:  First there is
shock.  Within seconds, shock gives way to disbelief, disbelief to pain,
and pain to anger[*].  Finally, anger gives way to an irresistible urge
either to string up the writer or to submit a patch.  Thank <insert your
deity here> the latter is possible with Emacs.

And yes, I know all about speaking and writing a foreign language with
"unnecessarily" complex rules.  I've got the greatest admiration for and
sympathy with people who get to grips with English.

Please install my patch.

[*] Quoted from Lynne Truss's book "Eats, Shoots & Leaves".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)