Re: follow-link in grep buffer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:44:43 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>     In order not to confuse people too much, I really would want to
>>     suggest strongly that we remap double-click to mouse-2 unconditionally
>>     by default (where a "stronger" mouse-2 binding exists), and also map
>>     mouse-1 to the same when the special "link" property is present.
>>
>> I do not see any sense in this proposal.  That idea for double-click
>> seems completely inconsistent with the overall scheme that we have
>> adopted.
>
> The "overall scheme" that we have adopted historically is that any
> hyperlink or action is done with mouse-2.  That is perfectly
> consistent and nobody has argued that it should be removed, The
> problem that we are trying to address here is that

I looked at grep and gnus group buffers which have been presented
as examples of the problems with the follow-link property.

In both cases, the follow-link property is set to "mouse-face"
meaning that only areas which have the mouse-face property in
those buffers will map mouse-1 to mouse-2.

In gnus group buffer, the mouse-face is put on the group name only, so
it is easy to set point on a group line without entering that group.

In grep buffers, it seems that (almost) full lines are highlighted
with the mouse-face -- so practically the whole buffer is "mouse-1"
aware.  As I suggested earlier, one simple solution would be to
only put mouse-face on the file:line: part, but this was rejected
by some of you  (who wants to have his cake and eat it too :-)

To me it would be hard to explain to novice users why following a
mouse-face highlighted link in an info or help buffer is "opened" with
a single click, but a similarly highlighted group name in a gnus
buffer need a double click...

>                                              Since mouse-1 is rather
> commonly used for setting point in Emacs, having large areas behave
> like that in Emacs does not seem appropriate,

If those large areas have mouse-face, it seems appropriate to me.

At least it could be a different mouse-face if they require a double
click.