Re: Request for site-lisp-directory

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Request for site-lisp-directory
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:35:49 +0100

>DK> Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden> writes:
>>> I want to make a plea for a new lisp-level variable
>>> `site-lisp-directory' similar to `data-directory' and
>>> `exec-directory'. In my AUCTeX tex-site.el I now have:
>>>
>>> (defvar TeX-lisp-directory
>>> "/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex" ...
>>>
>>> I would prefer the location-independent:
>>>
>>> (expand-file-name "auctex" site-lisp-directory)
>>>
>>> Of course it is possible to say:
>>> (defvar site-lisp-directory (expand-file-name "../site-lisp"
>>> data-directory)) but I think it is cleaner if this is setup by the
>>> initialization code.

>DK> Hold your horses.  I am right now overhauling the installation
>DK> procedure of AUCTeX, and indeed it will make TeX-lisp-directory (and
>DK> other stuff) typically be set to a relative path location (namely
>DK> something like
>DK> (expand-file-name "something" (file-name-directory load-file-name))

>DK> This is more a problem of the installation procedure of AUCTeX rather
>DK> than Emacs.

It is not only AUCTeX; I just use that as an example. I have more packages
installed in site-lisp and some of them require a variable set to their
location or a location of one of their files. Emacs knows the site-lisp
directory because it puts it in load-path, so it could easily put it in a
variable also.
--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden