Re: follow-link in grep buffer

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:44:35 +0000

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I forgot: when we discussed the possible desirable behaviors, was
> follow-link-on-double-click among it?  Isn't that sort of common for
> launching something?  It would of course shadow marking a word in a
> link, but I guess that is less tragic than losing the obvious way of
> setting point?

Except for links in info pages, which are clearly like HTML links,
thus users probably expect them to be followed by a single click, I
think making double click the default would be preferable, maybe with
mouse-2 as an alternative for users used to the old way.

I find the current default problematic in grep/compile buffers and
Gnus Group and Summary windows, since I often use the mouse to switch
windows, but clicking in those buffers (which are entirely made up of
clickable text) does more than just position the cursor now.

Equivalent windows to the compile window in other IDEs tend to use a
double click.